Sunday 24 November 2013

Harry Dean Stanton running with Bob Dylan

Harry Dean Stanton
Good interview with Harry Dean Stanton by Sean O'Hagan in today's Observer, recalling that he and Bob Dylan used to go running together while filming with Sam Peckinpah:

'He [Stanton] later befriended Bob Dylan during the famously difficult shoot for Sam Peckinpah's elegiac western Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid in 1973. "Dylan and I got to be very close. We recorded together one time. It was a Mexican song. He offered me a copy of the tape and I said no. Shot myself in the foot. It's never seen the light of day. I'd sure love to hear it."

... Kris Kristofferson, who played the lead in that film, recalls Peckinpah throwing a knife in anger at Stanton when the actor messed up a crucial scene by running through the shot. "As I recall, he pulled a gun on me, too. It was because me and Dylan fucked up the shot." On purpose? "No, we were jogging and we ran right across the background." The vision of Dylan and Stanton jogging together seems altogether too absurd, but I let it pass'.

Dylan in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) - not really dressed for a run

No comments:

Post a Comment